Mouse pointer keeps moving back to same spot

Here’s a quick one… One of those face-palm moments that took me way too long to figure out.

I just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why my mouse pointer would reset locations on my screen every second or two. I could move the mouse, but it would instantly jump back to the original spot (at the bottom of my screen). I’m in Apple OSX – though this same issue would affect Windows. Using only my keyboard, I tried shutting down every application one by one. Something in my computer was causing my mouse to disappear and move locations. After all my applications were closed, I tried relaunching Finder. Still nothing.

Finally, I try rebooting my entire machine. After it booted, the problem persisted. Becoming very frustrated, I turned off my wireless mouse and went to go to search for a wired mouse to try instead. That’s when the (very delayed) lightbulb went off in my head: my Wacom graphics tablet! Sure enough, I had placed my tablet stylus on the corner of my graphics tablet and it was fighting with my mouse, repositioning my mouse pointer to the same location on my screen.

In the words of the great H.J. Simpson: “Doh!”

16 Thoughts on “Mouse pointer keeps moving back to same spot

1. Emanuel Miglio on January 12, 2015 at 7:00 pm said:

Holy cow man, I ended up here googling for the same situation and, as long as I read “Wacom tablet”, I instantly looked at mine and felt like the dumbest idiot in this world.

2. Brandon on April 30, 2015 at 5:35 pm said:

Holy crap, you just saved me hours of frustration. I usually leave my tablet unplugged and didn’t notice the pen sitting on it over a pile of papers, lol!

3. Helen on May 29, 2015 at 2:28 am said:

Haaha, thanks! Epic facepalm here as well 😀

4. this is exactly what I was experiencing this morning. Hopefully that is what caused the problem, I will check once i get home

5. Oh my god I just had the exact same issue. I can’t believe 1) it was the stupid an issue and 2) so many others had the exact same one!
    THANK YOU I was ready to reinstall my computer! hahahahaha

6. Rach on May 19, 2016 at 1:18 am said:

This JUST happened to me, boy do I feel dumb!! I needed to express my gratitude though, who knows how long it would’ve taken me to figure it out! Thanks again!

7. omg I can’t help laughing. I did the exact same thing and never once looked at it. Thank you so much :’)

8. LOL!!! Thank you.

9. Eddie Eagle on October 18, 2016 at 12:09 pm said:

Thank You Thank You Thank You. Nice debug. I feel so inadequate some times.

10. Mike Ingram on October 25, 2016 at 11:44 am said:

Same issue, same solution. Just don’t tell my boss I’m this silly sometimes…

11. Jason Moore on November 4, 2016 at 7:59 pm said:

Thanks for sharing the tip, unfortunately it didn’t work out for me. I’m on a Macbook Air, the cursor keeps dancing…out of my control sometimes. Finally I was able to resolve it by disabling an option in Accessibility. Credit to Andreas for writing this awesome trick: http://www.anysoftwaretools.com/fix-mac-cursor-trackpad-problem/

Sharing it here in case others suffering similar problem with me.

12. Wow… my this is the first result (I used tab on keyboard to access) and sure enough my pen was on the wacom tablet messing with the mouse. Thank you!