If you’re someone who has had the experience of seeing my basement, you will know the mystery staircase that the previous owners left boarded up in the back corner. When Heather and I moved into our house, we quickly discovered these stairs and decided that we were going to take them down.
The only problem with removing the stairs is that they are actually holding up our kitchen floor. By removing the stairs, and the surrounding 2×4’s, we would be taking all support for our floor joists.
Well last night, we made significant progress. My friend Matt came over to help get the ball rolling. We went to Home Depot, and Rona to get supplies. Some 2×10’s, nails, screws, a new Skil Saw and contractor’s adhesive. Shortly thereafter, we made a few new discoveries:
- The staircase stringers aren’t really attached to anything. So the staircase itself was just floating on a few nails.
- Our kitchen floor has been supported by a few 2×4’s since we moved in. And a section of our floor was even supported by the staircase itself (see item 1).
- Not much was actually nailed in, or screwed in too deeply. Most of this staircase and floor support was balanced in place somehow. It’s amazing we haven’t fallen through the floor.
So currently, my basement is filled with wood, insulation and drywall. My kitchen floor has a huge hole where the mystery staircase used to be. We’ve only managed to fix 2 of the joists so far (there’s still 9 more to go). We’ve still got a lot of work ahead of us, but at least we’ve got moving on this whole thing. Once the basement is cleaned up, I’ll be able to put up my drums again.
More updates to follow…